- Implementing state-specific grants and programs to incentivize progress toward urban tree canopy targets.
- Using Arbor Day events and other educational programs on U.S. Department of Defense installations to increase urban tree canopy awareness in the military community.
- Using educational resources to expand the awareness, appreciation, planting and stewardship of fruit and nut trees around educational institutions, in underserved communities and in parks and other public lands.
July – December 2016
- Using online tools to support training and information-sharing among the urban forestry community.
- Assessing and summarizing federal, state, local and private funding opportunities that support urban tree canopy implementation.
- Developing tracking and verification systems that allow groups to report urban tree planting to the Chesapeake Bay Program’s Watershed Model for best management practice credit.
January – June 2017
- Working with federal, state and local program managers to integrate urban tree canopy and riparian forest buffer targets into the implementation of stormwater programs related to TMDL, WIP and MS4 regulations.
- Using innovative outreach methods to expand community engagement and facilitate greater local participation in urban tree canopy implementation, targeting diverse audiences in areas with the greatest urban tree canopy needs and opportunities.
July – December 2017
- Exploring options to leverage federal, state and private resources to increase funding opportunities that support urban tree canopy implementation, especially in diverse communities.
- Providing agencies, organizations and local governments with guidance on how to strengthen urban tree canopy funding, programs and partnerships.
- Recommending best practices for tree planting, tree maintenance and policies that support urban tree canopy.
- Fostering coordination among agencies, organizations and utilities to protect properties from and assist homeowners in maintaining over-hanging tree limbs that threaten human health.
Logic & Action Plan
Chesapeake Bay Program partners have committed to taking a series of specific actions to support the management approaches guiding this outcome. These actions directly address the factors that could impact our progress. More information about performance targets and participating partners can be found in the complete Logic & Action Plan (PDF).