- In 2017, the Chesapeake Bay Program's Education Workgroup published An Educator's Guide to the Meaningful Watershed Educational Experience (MWEE). This easy-to-use manual helps teachers and non-formal educators strengthen outdoor learning and construct high-quality educational experiences for their students. The guide describes the essential elements and supporting practices of a MWEE, offers tips for designing, implementing and gaining funding and support for a MWEE, and features a comprehensive MWEE planning toolbox. The guide brings consistency and quality to the work done under the Environmental Literacy Planning, Student and Sustainable Schools outcomes.
- Use An Educator’s Guide to the Meaningful Watershed Educational Experience (MWEE) to create a virtual MWEE training hub that provides regional and state-specific training modules and includes information about in-person training opportunities.
- Create marketing materials that illustrate the importance of the MWEE and make its connection to existing education initiatives—including Next Generation Science Standards and Project Based Learning—clear.
- Build and support a cadre of “MWEE Ambassadors” to champion and help educators develop and implement MWEEs.
- Increase the number of standards-aligned professional development opportunities to support the development and implementation of MWEEs.
- Collect and distribute strong examples of Environmental Literacy Models (ELMs) that include scope, sequence and student work.
- Improve the ability of state and regional networks to efficiently and effectively disseminate information about environmental literacy programs and practices.
- Maintain awards programs to sustain the visibility of and excitement around environmental education.
Logic & Action Plan
Chesapeake Bay Program partners have committed to taking a series of specific actions to support the management approaches guiding this outcome. These actions directly address the factors that could impact our progress. More information about performance targets and participating partners can be found in the complete Logic & Action Plan (PDF).