- In June of 2017, two projects were completed to support the evaluation of existing land use policy options, incentives and planning tools that can reduce the rate of farm, forest and wetland conversion. The Conservation Land-Use Policy Toolkit describes and evaluates seven policy tools that local governments can use to slow the conversion of farms, forests and wetlands. The Healthy Watersheds Forest Retention Project explains how local governments can save resources by using forest conservation as a method of managing stormwater and includes “toolkits” of policies and practices that can support forest conservation in Pennsylvania and Virginia. Both projects were completed with Chesapeake Bay Program funding administered by the Chesapeake Bay Trust.
- Linking the results of analyses completed as part of the Land Use Methods and Metrics Development Outcome to the work being done toward the Land Use Options Evaluation Outcome.
- Reviewing planned actions toward the Chesapeake Bay Watershed Agreement from across the Chesapeake Bay Program that are related to outreach toward local governments to ensure efforts to obtain input from local governments and related stakeholders are coordinated.
- Integrating the results of the FY2015 Goal Implementation Team Funding Project “Evaluation of Land Use Policy Options, Incentives and Planning Tools…” into an agreed-upon location to support outreach to local and state land use officials.
January – June 2016
- Conducting a detailed scope of work that includes considerations, estimated hours and estimated costs of completing each Land Use Options Evaluation Outcome management approach outlined in the associated management strategy.
January – June 2017
- Evaluating existing land use policy options, incentives and planning tools meant to reduce the rate of conversion of agricultural land, forests and wetlands.
July – December 2017
- Exploring the development and implementation of a methodology to establish climate-related baselines and targets for the Land Use Options Evaluation Outcome.
Logic & Action Plan
Chesapeake Bay Program partners have committed to taking a series of specific actions to support the management approaches guiding this outcome. These actions directly address the factors that could impact our progress. More information about performance targets and participating partners can be found in the complete Logic & Action Plan (PDF).