- In 2017, the Brook Trout Action Team identified 10 “Priority Level 1” areas for brook trout conservation. There are two areas in each of the five watershed states that are home to native brook trout.
- Inform state and local decision-makers of priority areas for brook trout conservation.
- Work with Chesapeake Bay Program communications experts to develop strategies and products to answer state and local decision-maker requests for information.
- Use workshops and webinars to ensure brook trout decision-support tools inform state and local conservation plans.
- Explore whether eDNA can be used as a cost-saving measure in brook trout monitoring.
- Incorporate data on the impacts of acid mine drainage, unconventional oil and gas development, and other habitat stressors into brook trout decision-support tools.
- Incorporate data on brook trout population genetics into brook trout decision-support tools.
- Streamline the process through which Chesapeake Bay Program partners report on their progress toward restoring brook trout habitat.
- Review and refine the documents that guide our work with new knowledge about brook trout conservation.
Actions in Maryland
- Track the work of the Department of Natural Resources to conduct a state-wide brook trout occupation census and genetics survey and analysis in the Upper Savage River watershed and Big Pipe Creek.
Actions in Pennsylvania
- Track the work of the Fish and Boat Commission to monitor brook trout reintroduced to Limestone Run.
Actions in Virginia
- Track the work of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries to monitor brook trout populations in Little Stony Creek, the North River, the St. Mary’s River and other waterways; monitor stream temperatures in several wild brook trout streams; and determine the genetic composition and health of recently established brook trout populations.
Logic & Action Plan
Chesapeake Bay Program partners have committed to taking a series of specific actions to support the management approaches guiding this outcome. These actions directly address the factors that could impact our progress. More information about performance targets and participating partners can be found in the complete Logic & Action Plan (PDF).